Access the overall africa re:load timeplan under: Schedule. Below is the schedule of individual sessions and session-rooms:
|Room 1||Room 2||Room 3||Room 4|
Green Energy Sessions (E)
|E-1 "Power-business"||Friday 14:30, Room 1||Coordinator: Oliver Petzoldt|
|Large-scale implementation of renewable energy requires integral design solutions, including solid localized business models based on market research.|
- Claudia Knobloch: "Market research for HERi Solarkiosk Project in Madagascar"
- Phillip Travers: "Productive Use of Solar Systems - A promising way to stimulate business"
|E-2 "Solar-solutions"||Friday 16:00, Room 1||Coordinator: Sarah Schwepcke|
|Discussing the different types of application of solar power solutions in Africa: What are the challenges and which competences are needed?|
- Max Pohl & Guluma Megersa: "Experiences from Sahay Solar competence center in Southern Ethiopia"
- Website: sahay-solar.com
- Xavier Auclair (via Skype): "Solar powered irrigation in Egypt"
- Website: karmsolar.com
|E-3 "Bauhaus Green-Energy Research"||Saturday 9:00, Room 1||Coordinator:|
|Bauhaus University Weimar has different ongoing research-projects related to green energy. Get to know the most interesting ones in this session.|
- Christopher Doering: "visualizing energy-consumption"
- Heiko Bartels: "Decentral wind- & water-energy solutions"
|E-4 "Solar architecture"||Saturday 10:30, Room 1||Coordinator: Sarah Schwepcke|
|Slide-S: The first team in the Middle East or Africa to earn a spot in the Solar Decathlon Europe competition - combinig architecture with solar energy solutions.|
- Christian Bauriedel & team Cairo: "Slide-s, Egypt´s Solar Decathlon entry"
Green Construction Sessions (C)
|C-1 "Concept-Test-Realization - What's next?"||Friday 14:30, Room 2||Coordinator: Dirk Donath|
|"Concept-Test-Realization" is a beginning three-year project between Bauhaus University, Addis Ababa and Juba focused on prototyping low-cost architecture for Africa, with local materials.|
- Dirk Donath: "Low-cost housing with sustainable local materials"
- Website: EiABC - BAUHAUS SECU_project
- Bernd Rudolf & team Bauhaus: "networking africa"
- Website: Concept-Test-Realization
- Eckardt Dauck: "Strawboard Technology"
- Website: strawtech.com
- Gyavira Wani: "Local construction-materials in South-Sudan"
|C-2 "Urban environments "||Friday 16:00, Room 2||Coordinator: Christian Bauriedel|
|Get to know and discuss some interesting concepts for making African urban environments more liveable.|
- Adam Molyneux-Berry: "Urban gardening & Demonstration Centre for Egyptian appropriate tech, and sustainability practices"
- Website: Nawaya
- Hany A. Abo El Wafa: "Urban growth modeling in Addis Abeba"
- Website: cluva.eu
|C-3 "Regional challenges "||Saturday 9:00, Room 2||Coordinator: Sarah Schwepcke|
|What does the region of Thuringia have in common with Africa, what can we learn from each-other? IBA-Thüringen will be looking for answers to such questions over the next twelve years.|
- Katja Fischer & Tobias Haag: "Africa & Thuringia: shared challenges? ice & IBA Thüringen"
- Website: iba-thueringen.de
- Gyavira Wani: "Architectural Challenges in South Sudan"
- Adam Molyneux-Berry: "Community integration in Green Tech projects and employment creation"
- Website: Nawaya
Design & Communication Sessions (D)
|D-1 "Maker-communication"||Friday 14:30, Room 3||Coordinator: Marton Kocsev|
|Designers and Do-It-Yourself-practitioners can accelerate their innovation-process by interacting in communities of practice. We look at some new concepts of web-based design-interaction.|
- Simon Höher: knowable.org / International DIY community
- Christof Mühe (& Paula Weise): "local green materials catalogue"
|D-2 "Bamboo product-design"||Friday 16:00, Room 3||Coordinator: Florian Manderscheid|
|As a material for product-design & construction, bamboo has excellent characteristics. In this session, you can get to know and discuss different application areas for bamboo.|
- Daniel Scheidler, Tobias Mathes & Johannes Hetzold: "Prototyping bamboo products"
- Florian Manderscheid: "Bamboo bike-trailer"
- Guido Morgenthal: "Bamboo-Concrete Composite Slabs"
|D-3 "Mobile application development (double-session)"||Saturday 09:00, Room 2||Coordinator: Katrin Proschek|
|Mobile is the platform of the future, especially with regards to Africa. Successful mobile solutions need to be context-sensitive. What exactly does that mean?|
- Naod Duga: "Cloud-Computing in Ethiopia"
- Hagen Höpfner: "Energy Aware Software"
- Website: Mobile media Group research
- Katrin Proschek: "Cultural factors in mobile user experience"
- Website Usability Engineering Center
- Amanuel Abrha & Eskinder Mamo: "Mobile-apps for Ethiopian education"
- Mitslal Kifleyesus: "Mobile app for Ethiopian farmers network: Mobile based Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) and web-based Market Resources Planning (MRP)"
- Guido Morgenthal: "Mobile app for building inspection and city planning"
|'D-4 "Design-education & Industry"||Saturday 10:30, Room 3||Coordinator: Christiane Kilian'|
|Design is increasingly important for economic growth. How can academia and private sector cooperate better to improve prototyping competencies?|
- Christiane Kilian: "International prototype-seminar"
- Website (prototype seminar): neudeli.net
- Melat Assefa & Brook Teklehaimanot: "Activities of EiABC protolab"
- Florian Manderscheid: "Design Communication: Communicating the utility of design to local enterprises"
- Jay Cousins: "From Open Design City to icecairo maker lab"
- Johannes Hafner: "Building an 'upcycling CNC'"
Networking Entrepreneurs Sessions (N)
|N-1 "CIM Funding strategies"||Friday 14:30, Room 4||Coordinator: Kokebe Hailegabriel|
|How can we finance green projects? In this session we develop concrete plans.|
- Kokebe Hailegabriel: "CIM goes green"
- Florian Manderscheid: Bamboo-Biketrailer startup-project
- Amanuel Abrha: Mobile apps startup-project
- Max Pohl & Guluma Mersha: solar startup-project
- Hanaa Dahy: Building materials out of bio-waste startup-project
|N-2 "Startup-incubation"||Friday 16:00, Room 4||Coordinator: Marton Kocsev|
|Continued African growth depends on the development of an African middle-class, which in turn requires the support of small- and mid-size business-creation.|
- Ben White & Bill Zimmerman: "VC4Africa: connecting African entrepreneurs to investors"
- Website: vc4africa.biz
- Susanna Muschik: "neudeli incubator: Start-up support, the Bauhaus way"
- Website: neudeli.net
|N-3 "Co-working – spaces and networks"||Saturday 9:00, Room 4||Coordinator: Jörn Schultz|
|Innovation networks are spreading across the continents - What make them work & how can we best cooperate?|
- Bill Zimmerman: "The AfriLabs Network"
- Website: afrilabs.com
- Marton Kocsev: "icehubs - Co-working spaces as catalysts for green innovation"
- Website: icehubs.com
|N-4 "social media in the context of international cooperation"||Saturday 10:30, Room 4||Coordinator: Oliver Petzoldt|
|Social media as a format of interaction, learning and co-creation has changed the world. How can the effects within development cooperation be monitored?|
- GIZ Social Media Monitoring Group: Marton Kocsev & Dirk Bange:
"The aim of this working group is to understand beneficiary mechanisms of social media as a participatory method for achieving development goals"
Return to africa re:load 2012